Applying for Employment with Upward Bound
Upward Bound offers both academic-year and summer employment opportunities. Applicants gain valuable work experience that will benefit the individual and the students. Benefits include:
- part- or full-time paid employment
- enhance your resume for future employment
- an opportunity to gain work experience with young people
- help teenagers recognize their individual strengths and need areas
- a chance to try innovative teaching methods
- be a team member with a creative staff dedicated to meeting the academic/social/emotional needs of individual students
Academic-Year Staff tutor, advise and mentor UB students at area high schools in afterschool weekly meetings. Services are provided in-person and online.
Remote Tutors work during the evenings to provide academic support to students remotely, using video conference platforms to deliver services.
Summer Academic Staff (Instructors) are employed during the summer sessions to teach college-prep classes in mathematics, science, composition, literature and foreign language. In addition to these core areas, project participants are offered classes and/or workshops which improve their communication, leadership and decision-making skills.
Summer Residential Staff are employed to provide academic and personal support through round-the-clock supervision. UB seeks residence hall staff who are positive role models for teenagers, who have demonstrated success as college students and who are able to work closely with program administrators to see that student needs are met. Other than the possible exception of an internship or independent study, residential staff are not able to take classes or assume other employment while working with Upward Bound.